Dec 13, 2009

The Cost of Happiness

The speedometer was displaying 70 Km/hr, a white Honda City was ahead on the road traveling in same direction. I tried to buzz the car many times to let me pass the way but couldn't succeed. Finally at a moment I saw some room at the left of the car, and accelerated my bike. The car was around 20 meters ahead. As soon as I accelerated my vehicle to pass on, the car indicated to left turn, lowered down the pace and turned sharply. I put a sudden break on my speed, jammed the bike and luckily missed the accident by half a meter. I started yelling at the car driver without considering the distance, and his rolled up windows. I continued abusing him for the next 10 seconds and started up again. Now I could saw the traffic on the road which was not in my vision while I was driving at high speed.
I never drive my vehicle fast with a rage in mind. But today I did. I was upset with something. Nothing much really happened today, I reminded, while driving cautiously except facing the wrong attitude of a very dear friend of mine. In the later part of the day I scolded my junior at office when he asked me to permit him leaving early today.
I started my small trip from the office and was trying to reach the home as early as possible. But now I didn't want to go to the home. I passed the side way which leads me to my home every day and kept moving on. After a ride for 3 more kilometers I saw a small shopping complex. I had never been there before. It was looking like a quite place having few shops and few visitors. I promptly stopped my bike there. The time was around 6 PM and it was already dark. The parking area was just a few meters away from the complex. I parked my bike over there and sat over it. The parking guard came to me and asked me to pay for parking my bike over there. I was high on temper even that time. I shouted at him and said "are you nuts! Can't you see that I am not parking my bike? I will sit over it after putting it over the stand. I am not going to leave my bike and I won't ask you to take care of it". The guard replied politely that he can't allow that otherwise his supervisor will kill him. I quietly started my bike again and stopped it few meters away beside a tea maker. I asked him for tea and begin enjoying every sip of that ginger tea walking slowly nearby the shopping area. There was something in my mind, or many things were there in my mind I must better say. I was walking real slowly keeping my head down and thinking about the happenings these days. Suddenly I saw a 50 Rs note lying on the ground. I picked it up without thinking much about what I will do with it and putted it into the pocket.
I decided not to use that money and donate it to someone needy around. Now I was searching for the right being who can be in need of that money. My eyes stopped at a boy who must have been around 12-13 years old to this earth. I stand aside and started noting his activities. He was a servant at the road side fast food center with around 10 tables. The boy was serving the food, filling up the empty glasses over there. I watched his activities. He was doing his work with all his vigor. But it was very clearly written on his face that he surely didn't like his job much. Suddenly he turned around and yelled at a old man "buddhe, can't you hear what I said. Go to that table and clean up the mess there". The old man who must have been in his 70's quietly picked up a piece of dirty cloth and cleaned up the mess over there. The boy yelled again "buddhe, bring up 4 clean glass to this table" and the old man followed. That old man has wrapped himself in an old jacket, his hairs were dirty white and he was wearing worn slippers. His eyes were paranoiac. I watched the old man for another 5 minutes; he continued taking orders from the other members of the shop and did his work quietly without any expression at his face.
I found my candidate. I walked a few steps ahead called the old man up. I asked him "kaka ji, do you drink alcohol"? The man replied straightly "no sir, I don't do these kind of things." I fished out that 50 rupee note from my pocked and forwarded it to the old man. The man was completely shocked. He took a backward step and said "no sir, I can't do this". I really don't know why did I actually asked the man about alcohol but yes I am an anti alcoholic person and I don't want others to drink it at least not for the money I have given to them. So, realizing what the old man was thinking I again forwarded the note to him saying "please use the money the way you want". The old man took the note from me and just said "sahib aap kahan rahete ho?" I replied "it doesn't really matter", saying this to him I putted up my helmet and started walking towards my bike. I didn't turn back started my bike to leave for the home.
I was feeling quite relieved during the ride and was pondering over the question "what made me to give that money to that old man?" and "what is the thing that has relieved me?"
I don't consider myself as a kind person. I have never helped anyone with such an amount of money of my own. By the time of reaching the home I figured out the answer lies in the fact that "for big cricket fan, who aspired to be a cricketer once in his life, watching someone celebrating a century in the middle of the ground brings up the feeling of joy." It's like you know that you can never cherish the moment like that player and you satisfy yourself by thinking of the pleasure he is having at the middle of the ground. The same thing happened with me. I couldn't have purchased happiness with those 50 Rs, but I made someone happy with that small amount of money which in turn brought me the happiness which I would have failed to purchase.

1 comment:

  1. Did you know you can shorten your links with Shortest and earn cash for every visitor to your short urls.

    ReplyDelete